Expert profile Dr. Emmanuel Alexandrakis
As Health Economy Global Strategist at WifOR Institute, Dr. Emmanuel Alexandrakis is responsible for promoting the Institute's Health Economy approach internationally amongst public and private stakeholders as well as fostering a new understanding of health. This entails engaging with high-level government officials, associations, and multiple other stakeholders to make evident the benefits of adopting policies that consolidate economic and health goals. With over 30 years of professional experience as an economist and extensive university-level teaching, Dr. Alexandrakis has a combined managerial, research, public policy, and strategy analysis background, with a specialized focus on the Health Economy. He has served as a Senior Advisor to the Hellenic Parliament with a focus on the Economic Adjustment Program for Greece and issues related to fiscal policies and legislation, in the process participating in several high-level committees within Greece and the EU. He has also occupied several positions in government, including the Special State Secretary of Tourism Development, the CEO of the Greek State Healthcare Organization for Seamen, and Scientific Advisor to the Economic and Social Council for Greece. Previously, Dr. Alexandrakis has worked in the pharmaceutical industry, health tourism, and the insurance sectors. His current work specializes in the Health Economy, innovation, and economic development.
Academic Background and Qualifications
- Adjunct Professor for Health Sector Strategy & Member of the Business Advisory Council (BAC) of the MBA International, Athens University of Economics and Business
- Head of the Health Sector Research Center (HealthSec) of the Management Science Laboratory, Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece
- Research Associate, University of Piraeus Laboratory of Health Economics and Management
- M.A. & Ph.D. in Political Economy, University of Texas at Dallas, U.S.A.
- B.A. in Economics, University of Maryland at College Park, U.S.A.
Selected Professional Engagements
- Member of the Audit Committee of the Hellenic Development Bank (current)
- Member of the Advisory Committee, G20 Health & Development Partnership (current)
- Executive Member, BoD of the Archaeological Receipts and Expropriations Fund (ΤΑΠΑ)
- Member of the Expert Review Board, WHO - European Office for Investment for Health and Development for Health Economy
- Expert in the Support for the Development of the Policy Dialog and Advice Programme of the Republic of Kazakhstan (PDAP)
- Member of the EU-MED Working Group for the “Development of an Industrial and Entrepreneurial Base”
- Member of the BoD of the Hellenic Alumina Industry (ΕΛΒΑ ΑΕ)
- Coordinator of the Transportation PPP projects – Hellenic Ministry of Transportation
- Vice President of the “Motorways of the Sea – Cross-European Transportation Networks” Committee of the Hellenic Ministry of Maritime
Project Partners and
- Hellenic Development Bank
- Hellenic Parliament, Ministry of Development, Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Tourism Development, Ministry of Merchant Marine
- Economic and Social Council of Greece
- Master Hellas Consulting (MHC) S.A.
- Oikos NAFTOU (Healthcare and Social Policy State Organization)
- National Theatre of Greece
- G20 Health & Development Partnership
- Government of Kazakhstan
- MSD Greece, Cyprus & Malta